Some stuff I made Part 1: Zydrate Gun

Part of a series of things I made and just sort of sat on the pictures and didn’t tell anyone.

So a friend needed a prop for a costume from the gloriously weird and unique Repo The Genetic Opera for a burlesque performance. With near zero budget and no time I made her one. It was the Zydrate gun used to administer the corpse-bug derived drug central to the story and much needed to sell the costume.

It didn’t have to look like the original prop, just remind people of it so into the bit box!

I found a glue gun that didn’t properly heat, and that’s like 3/4 of the way there out of the gate!

I gutted it and tossed all the electricals into recycling.

The hot-head was needed to form the tip so I just drilled it out to accept a nail which I ground the tip of a bit to make it a bit more syringe and a bit less nail.

Then drove it through to form the slightly less than safe front of the prop.

I wanted the trigger to work, but didn’t need all the glue driving mechanism so I just chopped everything away that wasn’t needed to keep the trigger springy.

Then I cut away everything from the body that wasn’t needed.

The tip fit back in perfectly so I put it and the trigger back in and closed up the gun.

Nearly there… but it’s missing the actual Zydrate!

A tube from some dollar store bubbles and some 5 minute epoxy fixed that problem.

After the epoxy cured I hit it with some silver acrylic and called it done!

An hour or two of work and she had a zydrate gun that would be immediately recognizable as such (assuming you were likely to recognize such a thing) from stage. I was going to paint it black then metal it up…but it looked nice and medical as is so she and I agreed it was ready to go.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *