A loooong time coming, back on track, plans man, plans!
Anyway, I finished the display set a while ago but never got around to uploading the pics. I have moved and everything! Here we go!
So I began by giving the panels a couple coats of a nice dark grey. This made the panels bow a little which I had hoped to avoid by using nice thick foamcore so I pressed them flat again under a bunch of books.
I drybrushed it lightly with a slightly lighter shade of the same grey to bring out the texture and make the panel lines stand out.
I then used a few lighter shades to make a few panels stand out.
The three panels glued together and WALLA! WALLS!
And now I have a nice little setting to photograph toys and models in that adds visual interest without dominating.
The toy in question is an Armodoc from Onell Designs. Which is also where I got the idea for the set in the first place. Give it a look, the man makes amazing toys.
I would like to make a few of these and make them a bit more intricate, but in the future I think I will use acrylic rather than foamcore. Foamcore is a wonderful quick and dirty material, but it’s fragile and even more prone to warping than I remembered. Perhaps a base piece of acrylic with the interior shapes made of foamcore or some other easier material to cut.
Next up… new stuff!